Shopping during the holiday season can present unique Safety and Security concerns. Taking a few prevention measures can help keep your holiday season joyous.
The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from the Los Angeles Police Department Crime Prevention Section can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible .
- Always carry your driver’s license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use .
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings .
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash .
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
- Keep cash in your front pocket .
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused .
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home .
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Source: LAPD Crime Prevention Section
STT Security Services operates Security Programs for Regional Shopping Centers, Lifestyle Centers, and other types of Retail Shopping Venues throughout the US. As your out and about, don’t forget Security Officers are here to assist with any type of question or concern you may have! We wish everyone a safe and enjoyable Holiday!